Jay and Kelley's Ukrainian Trip

After three years and 14 days of waiting for our adoption, God has answered our prayers and we are now on our way to Ukraine. We have made this blog to help our family keep up with us as we go to find our new child. "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you." John 15:7

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Day 30

Aaahhh.... the land of high-speed internet connections. It is nice to be back home with family and friends. Unfortunately, Kelley and Charles are still in Ukraine, but should be wrapping things up this week. If everything goes "as planned" - which will be one of several plans that did not come to fruition - they should arrive in Raleigh-Durham on Saturday night.
As for me, I arrived last night after a way too long layover in JFK. It wasn't supposed to be that long, and standing in line to re-check bags after Customs I wasn't sure if I would even make my flight, but after several delays the flight finally made it out of New York. Thank goodness! I really didn't want to spend the night in JFK.
Enough about me. I was able to speak Kelley on the drive home last night, and then today as well. She reports that Chas withdrew a bit from her after my departure, but today seemed to be getting back to "normal". She will pick up Chas tomorrow evening at 5:00 and then board a bus with Svitlana heading towards Odessa. After a "short" thirteen and a half hours, they will get to Odessa on Tuesday morning and begin to "legalize" Chas' Birth Certificate. What will they actually be doing? I haven't a clue. Svitlana confused Kelley and I several times during the explanation before I left Donetsk, and having Kelley describe over the phone what she thinks she will doing hasn't helped to clear things up in my mind. I know... I know... big surprise there... thanks....
Moving along... Once they are complete in Odessa, Kelley and Chas are boarding a plane for Kiev on Tuesday evening. Svitlana will head back to Donetsk (bus/train?), get Chas' Ukrainian Passport and then catch a train for Kiev on Wednesday evening to arrive in Kiev Thursday morning. Meanwhile, Kelley will be getting a physical for Chas on Wednesday, and then probably head to an underground shopping area called the "Metrograd" that I found. It is about 2km (1 1/2 miles) of shops. I know men, all of your ladies will be calling to book the next flight to Kiev. Perhaps the cold weather will deter them. Once Svitlana arrives in Kiev, Kelley will get the passport and go to the American Consulate on Thursday morning to finalize paperwork that allows Chas to be recognized as our child in the eyes of the U.S.
That's the down and dirty of it. I know I owe everyone more, but with four hours of sleep in the last 48 hours.... I feel the need to start the sarcasm engine, and I think it prudent to take the keys away before I get behind the wheel.
Kelley and I send our love to all and appreciate everyone that has been following the journey with us. I'll be back tomorrow to try and fill in some holes for everyone.
God bless...
<><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home